Friday, December 4, 2015

Stories and writing

Okay, so I'm not the most amazing author in the world. The simple truth is, I've picked up a couple of cool ideas and just never taken the time to actually follow through. There's no reason I couldn't have finished a book or ten at this point, but I've been lazy. So, I'm going to tell you a few of my ideas and let you think about it. You can comment, of course, but I don't really expect you to. So, ready for a glimpse of how my mind works? Without further ado, let us be about it!

One idea I'm toying with is a result of an FB conversation. I once stated in error that the world was once believed to be square. That's false, of course, the world was believed to be flat. Quite the difference! But we got to talking about what if the world WERE square? It would have to be a fantasy or a science fiction book. Sci-fi for a created world, or fantasy for something like... Say Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I'm not on his level, in my opinion, and I don't think I could pull it off quite right as a true fantasy... But what if we take this square world and invert it? Think of a Dyson's Sphere, now make it a square and wrap it around the sun. Now we've got six huge flat worlds... We can break them down further, kind of like the Ringworld, but I don't want to do that. Right now I'm tempted to work in this single square. So how about day and night cycles? I was thinking a sphere much closer to the sun, rotating of course, which is partially contained. Essentially, every so often as this sphere rotates you get light and you get darkness. On one of the worlds there's a place where it never gets dark, on the opposite side a place where it's always dark. What do you think? Yeah... but it's got potential, despite the hand-waiving.

Now I've already got two of these worlds kind of pre-written. One is basically earth, only a powerful esper (because ESP not real magic) named Eandyil Nathar sells contracts to trade one life for another. Yeah, I know, one too many Linkin Park Vids, but the idea is awesome! I've even got a contract written up for it, it's kind of fun. The other is a faux-fantasy world that Eandyil starts in. There are Dragons, although they're basically powerful shape-shifters with some ESP as well as time-travel. Time travel is deemed impossible by science today, but didn't Clarke state that any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic? Come to think of it, there's three laws that are attributed to Sir Clarke, but that's the most famous one. Anyway, that's the world my tidbits come from. Check it out on my facebook page, www.facebook.com/Eandyil.Nathar and have a great day today!

1 comment:

  1. Specifically, ESP is Extra Sensory Perceptions. I like the idea of espers, and can only blame the excellent works of Simon Greene for introducing me to the idea at a young age. *sigh* Owen Deathstalker! *Shakes fist*

    ReplyDelete