Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A book idea - Space Opera

   I'm thinking of something kind of like a space opera, with an odd twist. I'm assuming it'll count under that genre, but let's talk about this some more first. There are varying degrees of science fiction, from Hard sci-fi such as Poul Anderson wrote to almost pure fiction like Star Trek. The difference is known science, or what we know to be likely as possible, to the made up science (I don't know how to stop them, Captain, but if we use the deflector dish somehow it MUST work!) found in some books. Les Johnson edited an anthology called Going Interstellar, worth reading if you haven't (I've got mine SIGNED!), that has several hard sci-fi stories followed by a science article on the science related to the short, if I remember properly. I haven't read it in a few years, but I may read it again.

   So what is the difference between Space Opera and various science fiction novels? Well, technically nothing. All Space Opera is sci-fi, though not all sci-fi is Space Opera. Who knew it was used in a negative fashion? Essentially, it's a grand adventure that takes place, for the most part, in space. Well, that's what I'm thinking about writing, so that works for me. I've decided to stay away from hard sci-fi. I'm just not that good at science. Oh, I'll research, but aside from that I've got nothing. Well, something, artificial gravity verses the whole spinning section of the ship to get a kind of gravity... I'll think about it.

   So, here is my idea. I'm going to create a good man, a captain, and he's going to be on patrol with the flagship of their fleet, their best vessel ever, designed to fight pirates. Only, the new ship has been sabotaged and will blow in the first fight, designed to leave the captain as a scape goat. He's going to either fix it or find another ship and will save his planet from an invasion force, then get kicked out of their system by the ungrateful government. I'm debating making him either a privateer/pirate, or a lone policeman. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment