Saturday, January 2, 2016

Writing and me

So, few of you know this but I've been 'working' on a book, off and on, for the past couple of years. I know all of the tips, I've given them out a few times. Set small goals, require yourself to do a little today, a little tomorrow. Keep going forward, don't stop in the middle of something to go back and edit. That's a great way to keep wasting time on it. When the book is finished, leave it alone for a week or so, then come back and read it. As you read, then you can edit. Just remember to finish, first. As you edit, you may find that one section looks better somewhere else. So you move it, then change your mind and move it back, or maybe you just don't like it at all and take it out. For reasons like this, I personally recommend the yWriter series. I've used yWriter 5 for years now, although I just upgraded to yWriter 6. It's free software, I'll leave a link below.

So, back to my book. From what I have let others read, I've gotten nothing less than encouragement. I've heard that it's great so far, what happens next? Shut up and take my money, that never ceases to make me grin. Realistic characters, with villains you can hate and protagonists that make you want to laugh, to cry, to scream at, and take home to protect. I really do need to finish this sometime, with praise like that it feels like a lot to live up to. Of course, I tend to jump around a bit, and then I need to go in and fill in the blanks. So much for following an outline, huh? I'll work on it!

The bright side is that I've found a few good folks for editing and proof reading. I know enough about converting from rtf to other formats, I'll be switching to epub and mobi files, but I didn't really trust myself to just finish it and publish without at least a few readers checking it over, first. They're good people, I've also left their link below as well. So, all of you out there looking to get a book written, I've got one other bit of advice for you. It doesn't matter if you think it's crap, or if you think it's the best work every written. Finish it, send it out for editing, and put it up on Amazon. You may be surprised by how many people like it.

yWriter site:
http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter6.html

Editing/proof reading/author services site:
www.cmwauthorservices.com

No comments:

Post a Comment